Monday, March 15, 2004

Two Tips for Project Research

In my project work, I am frequently asked to solve challenging business problems. I typically follow a simple, three-step process: I research possible solutions, I write and present a recommendation, and finally, if the recommendation is approved, I form a project team to implement the solution. This week I learned some keys to researching information and to organizing my writing, both of which will help me write better quality recommendations for my work.

Clearly Define The Problem

Clearly defining the business problem is a key to focusing my research. In the past, I have jumped into research without clearly understanding the problem that I am trying to solve. I have always thought that I will figure out what I need to know as I read through material. As a result, leafing through the volumes of information on any given topic has often frustrated me. By clearly defining the problem, I am able to generate a list of specific questions that can be used as a roadmap to the information I need to gather. The roadmap will help me narrow my research, creating more focus on solving the specific business problem.

Organize Your Writing

Planning my writing is a key to organizing my recommendation. In the past, once I have completed my research, I have simply jumped into writing a recommendation. I often become frustrated while trying to organize my thoughts. I have started using the Writer’s Planning Guide from this week’s reading. One section--the purpose statement--was a new concept to me. I find by writing the purpose statement, I am able to create a specific goal for my writing. The goal drives all other activities. In addition, I gained new insight into topic statements. I didn’t previously see the connection between the topic statements and the thesis. Topic statements help the reader understand the context of each section and make it easier for the reader to follow the material.

When working on future business problems, I will invest time in defining the problem and compiling a list of specific questions that I need to answer. I will also use the Writer’s Planning Guide to focus my thoughts and organize my writing. These two keys will help me produce better quality recommendations for my work.

No comments:

Post a Comment


Subscribe to PM Papers

Copyright 2004-2010 Thomas Kennedy
All rights reserved