Thursday, January 15, 2004

About

As children, not many of us were guilty of saying, "I want to be a project manager when I grow up!" For most of us, project management is something that happened to us. In other words, at some point in our careers we were asked to do something that required us to coordinate resources to achieve a specific business objective. Some of us loved it--others, not so much. This process of coordinating resources is what many call project management.

It wasn't until about 10 years into my working career that I discovered formal project management. By formal I am referring to the study of the methods and tools of project management—the science behind project management. I knew that I loved to manage projects but I did not know in the early days that project management was a discipline and that people can make a career out of managing projects. All I knew at the time was that I LOVED managing projects and that I was pretty good at it!

So I set out to learn about project management. I read numerous books, I subscribed to project management journals, I obtained formal certifications, I enrolled in university courses, I read dozens of blogs. The time I invested in studying the science of project management was beneficial. However, the science is only part of the equation. Knowing how and when to apply the tools and techniques to specific project situations--the art behind project management--is just as important.

So why the blog? I have decided to return to school and pursue three degrees. First, a BSBA in Finance. Next, an MBA with a Project Management specialization. And finally, a Ph.D. in Project Management. My long term goal is to teach project management at the post-graduate level. This blog is a collection of some of the project management related papers and discussion questions responses that I have written during my academic journey. My hope is that through reading these papers, you too will learn some of the art and science of project management.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment


Subscribe to PM Papers

Copyright 2004-2010 Thomas Kennedy
All rights reserved